Sunday, February 3, 2013

Storytelling Sunday | February 2013

This is the third year of Storytelling Sunday where Sian over at From High in the Sky has many of us sharing stories of all kinds on the first Sunday of the month. She has us looking for those items of which are precious to us and would be hard to part with. You can see the details here on her blog.

When Sian had suggested we look for a precious item, initially I thought - I don't really have anything that I couldn't part with, except for all my photos and scrapbooking things. I moved so many times from when I was 16 up until 8 years ago when we bought our house that much of what I had collected over the years was thrown out or discarded. I also have a really bad memory for these kinds of things and will have to go searching under the crawl space sometime to see what is hiding down there that may actually be precious to me!

However; for this months take I did want to share some photos of my collection of dishes given to me from my grandmother.

I suppose these are precious to me in that I can still see my grandmother in her kitchen preparing dinner, opening the cupboards and pulling out these dishes. Many family dinners were eaten off of them.
 
She had several sets of dishes but I was partial to these and I told her so. They were given to me when I finished university and were kept in their box until we bought our house.
I do not have the full set as some pieces were broken before I received them. They rest in our cupboard with the glass doors to be looked at but are rarely used. Sometimes I think perhaps I should give them away, and maybe one day I will. For now I will continue to keep them and admire their simplicity and the memories they conjure.

Thank you for stopping by and having a read! If you would like to see other stories shared at From High in the Sky, then do pop by Sian's blog and have a look.

25 comments:

  1. Full sets are over rated lol. It's lo Ely that you can think back and visualise your grandmother using them :) early tonight on a blog I wrote that my mother in law always tells me not to save anything for best ... Use things and enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely collection - you are lucky to have something of your grandmothers to look at and enjoy. Although i'm sure i'd be drinking my tea from them beautiful cups x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's definately the memories that items like this evoke that make them so precious to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The love and memories connected to the simplest things make them precious and priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma in the kitchen is the kind of memory so many of us can relate too. How nice that you have a physical keepsake as well. And I agree, full sets are overrated! Maybe you could find a way to use a few of those pieces now and again - I would.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Ginger, get them out of the cabinet & use them! They are so pretty & would lovely on the table. We use our china dishes (from Robbie's family) because they were stored in the attic collecting dust for way too many years. If a piece gets broken or cracked, I just chalk it up to another memory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or maybe you should actually USE them, just like your grandmother did. I'm sure since you admired them, she thought they would grace your table one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful dishes! And how special that they bring back great memories to go along with. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no you cant give them away, they are beautiful. Wait until you are eighty and then give them away.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pieces, beautifully photographed Ginger! I love what Sandra says - full sets are overrated, isn't that just the best way to think? I have parts of a set that has been in our family for a while, but two cups got broken when we moved too.

    I love the memories they conjure up for you - I could almost hear the clatter of the dishes as you were telling us. Keep them, keep them..

    oh, and maybe instead of older things if you run out, you could do things from the present which you would like to hold on to and not get rid of if you had to move again? sort of deciding to create history from now?

    Thanks for this Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely plates and I agree, get then out and use them. The bonus is that u have a photo and can make a LO so the memory is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are very beautiful and how lovely that you can still see your grandma using them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to have a physical keepsake to evoke those memories. I don't think I could give them away. I'd want to use them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really shouldn't even THINK about giving them away....it's a very pretty set and I agree that you should use it sometimes!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful dishes x
    I wouldn't be able to part with them but maybe you could use them from time to time x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet you won't give the dishes away. You'll continue to look at them each day and relive wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so beautiful and it's lovely that you think of your grandmother using them every time you look at them. I wouldn't be able to give them away if they were mine x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, vintage crockery in its pieces is pretty wonderful if you ask me! I agree with many others, you have photographed it exceptionally well and it is such a pleasure to see it here today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are beautiful - both the photos and the dishes. I agree with the others she probably gave them thinking of the pleasure they'd give you and how many more family meals would be served on them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely to have those beautiful dishes, and especially sweet is that you remember using them. I'd love to have some pretty dishes like these - and your photos are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Ginger, get them out and use them, you have such wonderful memories of your grandmother, I can see you drinking your coffee from your special cup...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have my Grandma's dishes. She used them for everyday but my husband is not over fond of them so we use them for special occasions only. If you love them, use them as often as possible. Every time you sip a cup of tea/coffee you will be reminded of someone you found very special.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh what a pretty set of dishes Ginger and it's so wonderful that you always think of your Grandmother when you see them. I think you should use them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love heirloom china, and yours is beautiful!
    Sorry to be so late getting around to the stories this week, but I'm glad to visit anyway.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is such pretty china - I firmly believe that if you have something you love - use it! However delicate or rare the item - they were made to be used, I have some of my gran's glassware, her "turkey" plate, and her dressing table set - and I use them all the time. I love your photos - and you have made me realise that my gran's things are part of my precious items - so thank you for the reminder. J x

    ReplyDelete