Sunday, October 7, 2012

Storytelling Sunday | A Lifetime of Philately



It’s the first Sunday of the month and that can only mean one thing. It is Storytelling Sunday, a time for bloggers from around the world to gather and tell their stories. 

I was quite young the first time I heard that word… phil-at-el-ist. When I overheard my dad talking about philately, I asked him what it meant. He told me it was what he did... collect stamps. My dad loves to talk about stamps and he has a sparkle in his eye when you ask him to show you his collection. That’s just what I did when we visited in September.
These are the same books I remember from 35 years ago, when I was a young child standing in my dad’s office. Back then he had supplies spread out over a table. A water bath, tweezers, pages with black and white copies of old stamps(they showed where the collected stamp was to be placed) and special glue.

I had a few questions I wanted to ask him and this is what he had to say.

How old were you when you started to collect stamps?
 

I was a young boy. I know it was before I started school.


How did you come to collect them?


I removed them from the envelopes of the letters sent to us. Then when I started school I saved my money and would order them from catalogs. I traded with some of the other boys from school as well. 


What is it about stamp collecting that you enjoy? 

It is a form of relaxation for me and they are like little pieces of art, each one different from the other.

Do you have any favourites? No, I like them all, but I do like the engraved ones. They are the older style where the ink was placed on metal plates and then transferred or rolled onto the paper. It was quite the process.

 Dad also showed his American Philatelist Society membership card he has held since 1965. Once he turned 65 he was given lifetime membership status. 
Thanks Dad!

This story is brought to you by way of Sian's Storytelling Sunday where you can join in on the first Sunday of every month. You can tell a short story, a long one, or maybe share a few words with a photo. Anything goes! You can see more stories from this month here.

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story about your Dad's hobby. I collected stamps for a while in my pre-teen years, and I still have the book with the stamps glued in. Robbie collects stamps but we haven't done much with them lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa :) I have some stamps too that my dad bought for me. Maybe that will be another story ;)

      Delete
  2. I love that you included an interview of your dad! This has to go on a page!!! Has to!!! Very endearing :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely story Ginger.I love that you added the little 'interview' with your Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this! The pictures are fascinating and the interview is simply perfect. My dad collected stamps too and I'm pretty sure he would have been in the UK society in 1965 when he came back from Africa to get married. Wonderful stuff Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to interview your dad, Ginger. How wonderful to have now recorded his lifelong hobby. Stamps are little miracles of art indeed!
    I love how you have woven your photographs through the story. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely story,Ginger....I remember my grandad collecting stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger, this is brilliant! I'm so thrilled that you thought to interview your Dad as part of the story - that's a priceless touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is great to hear about your dad's hobby and the pictures are lovely, these are the really important tales in our family history x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story Ginger - your Dad looks like such a sweet guy! I used to collect stamps when I was a child. My collection disappeared in one of our moves (along with 90% of my belongings... think my sperm donor left them behind on purpose). I remember having a bunch of bird ones from the Audubon Society.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely story Ginger....
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. you can see how much it means to your dad from your photo. How lovely. I collected stamps as a kid and still have the books x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I'm surprised at how many of you collected your own stamps :) Lots of stories here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea to interview your dad, very interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Grandpa and Grantie both collected stamps and therefore gave me first day covers and starter sets. My Mom handed on the first day covers not that long ago and I've not yet decided what to do with them all... Loved the interview and delighted they've given him life time membership.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great story. I like the picture you took of him. This story inspires me to do a story on my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely to see and read about your father's enjoyment and enthusiasm - I love his view of stamps as little works of art. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a super story about your Dad. Love how you've included the interview. That is some collection - i'm blown away by the size of your Dad's albums. I collected stamps many years ago and am now trying to figure out what to do with them as no one in the family is interested. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. brilliant story! My dad collected stamps too I must ask if he still has them (I think he does) and I had an album for a while growing up but no idea where it is now wish I had kept it! I also like the trend for using stamps on layouts and keep meaning to try it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great interview! I'm sure you will treasure this for many, many years.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing collection, and a great story! I should interview my Dad about his money collection one of these days.

    ReplyDelete