Sunday, October 21, 2012

Simply A Moment | October

Alexa over at Trimming the Sails has a beautiful way of writing and she had an idea taken from Ali's, 31 Things class to document a moment in time once a month. She is inviting anyone who is interested to participate. I like the idea of this as it not only increases one's writing skills but it truly gives a snapshot of any given moment and in essence captures your thoughts, feelings, sights and sounds.
Journaling:


Sunday, October 21, 2012. 0810.

Silence. I awaken and glance at the clock. Five and a half hours. Do I try for more? I don’t think so. I pull myself up and find my lounging pants and a long sleeved t-shirt. I feel a slight coolness in the air as I dress. I walk the few steps to my art rom and glance at the thermostat; 19 degrees Celsius, and just then the furnace kicks in. Good. I turn into the spare room and search for the 5lb dumbbell on the floor. I sit on the edge of the bed and hold it in my right hand. I begin to count. 

Once I’m in my art room I pull up the shade. I notice the pink edges in the sky from the morning sunrise. I see the smoke in the air from the neighbour’s chimney and wonder how many days we have before the snow that falls will remain on the ground. I turn on my Blackberry and pull up the weather network. Minus 4 degrees Celsius it reads. Not long I conclude. I contemplate what the day will bring and am happy to remember I picked up the groceries yesterday and may not leave the house today. It feels like a good day to stay inside and craft.

Bending to open the container of cat food, I stretch to place one scoop for Norman and one for Sophie. Sophie’s dish still has food in it and I make a mental note to watch and see if she is eating Edwin’s food. I wonder if I should start the coffee and think better of it. Marvin is still asleep. I will wait.

I turn to my Blackberry again and pull up the file containing the list of books I am interested in reading. I think again of last weekend and the girls get together for scrapbooking. Many of the books on the list were entered from the suggestions they had. No. You need to finish the one you started in your Kobo reader. I make another mental note to see if any of these are already on my bookshelf downstairs. 

Looking at my desk I glance at the travel album I have put together and start to write a list of things to add to it. Where is that copy of the travel journal I liked and printed off this summer? I sift through some piles with no luck. In the bedroom I hear Marvin clearing his throat and I look up. I notice the sky is no longer pink but blue and I turn to head downstairs to check on the animals and brew the coffee.

Alexa has so generously provided a template for the layout design if you would like to do yours as a digital layout. She has also provided a pdf file of how you might approach your journaling and gives some great prompts. You can find the prompt download here.

If you would like to read more "Simply a Moment" entries, have a look here.

Thanks Alexa!

10 comments:

  1. It's been a delight to share a moment of your life, Ginger. I felt as if I were following you from room to room ... Is it really that cold already where you are? I admire your ability and determination to exercise so early in the day. Oh, and I love how you've adapted the template :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa :) Yes, it really is this cold and not the end of October yet. It happens some years. The exercising isn't what you think - mostly stretching and lifting that weight to help an old injury :)

      Delete
  2. What a great read to share in your morning. It was a warm 85 degrees here today, so I can't even imagine it being time for snow! BRRRR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we missed the drop of snow, but the southern part of the province had 10 cm!

      Delete
  3. I love that early morning feeling you have so cleverly described :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to share your moment, Ginger - I felt right there with you in the calm and peace of early morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post, a lovely story and a really great idea from Alexa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can1't believe you have snow already either!...a lovely early morning moment
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ginger, this is fabulous! I love pages like this. So much detail. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! So beautifully written (and I love the photo).
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete