Tuesday, October 30, 2012

B-Sides and Rarities

Wasn't that the name of one of Sarah McLachlan's albums? Or at least close to it. I'm going to share a couple layouts from Shimelle's latest class "Scrapbooking Remix". It's a fun one, and one that is making me get crafty.


The first day had us looking at Bella Blvd's Sunshine and Happiness papers. Think cherries, trees and lots of cute bright colors. Now I like cute bright colors, but I'm not much for picking papers with strawberries, cherries and trees... or AM I?? I do, but usually am picking them for the B-sides (we will get to that a little later).

Shimelle shared 4 different layouts with a variety of messages and opportunities to think of how one might utilize such fun papers. I decided to go with as many colors as possible! So I shopped my stash and found some Pink Paislee, "Hometown Summer" papers, although now that I look at that watermelon paper, I'm not certain if it is Pink Paislee... oh well.

When I saw the summery papers in Shimelles handout, I knew I needed to create a summer layout too, given our lovely wintery weather!
I count 6-7 colors here. I love the little boy and girl I cut out from the back of the yellow paper.

Day two, Shimelle picked Everyday Eclectic, by Echo Park. I love Echo Park paper but because we were to look for B-Sides I searched my stash and picked Studio Calico, Pebbles and Crate Paper and I think the yellow is Paislee Press.
 Every one of the papers picked are the B-side, except the yellow one. I couldn't just focus on B-sides and wanted to add some color to the layout. The yellow worked well.

The first layout took no time to create, but then this one had me going back to it. I placed a private journaling card below the photo and attached it with some strong tape.
This class does have me looking at papers in a different way. That's it. What about you? Do you like B-sides? I know I always loved the B-sides on albums, sometimes even more than the popular song.
Have a good night friends!

16 comments:

  1. These are lovely, Ginger! I'm a B-sider fan too :). You've picked out the colours of the photo so well with these papers and added lots of lovely visual details: loads to keep my eye interested :). (And that's a lovely photo of you all too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the photo - I don't think I have another with my parents since my university graduation.

      Delete
  2. I'm definately a B-side fan....and like you....usually add just a touch of A-side for colour or pattern. I'm really enjoying this class as well.I particularly like your second page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely pages Ginger. Very refreshing to see papers remixed in this way. I really like how you have hidden the journalling on the page with your parents. Such a nice photo of the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely a B-side fan, as they usually have a smaller print which is more my thing. I like the kawai feel of the first LO with those bright colours. The second one is my favourite with the stamped and punched hearts, they make great embellishments. I have that lace border stamp on my wish list :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiya Ginger just wanted to say how much your summery LO brightened my day with all those colours and talk of warm (it is pouring with rain here!)
    I also love the tones of your 2nd page and all the hearts and is it stamping??? or did the paper have all those designs love the ?protractor one (not very good with my maths instruments!) I am a b side fan and enjoying class tho put it on the back burner as UKScrappers have been having a cyber crop with some great classes and challenges check it out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the hearts do have stamping on them :) I use my sizzix die cuts and then I will add some stamping. I'm not so good with math either and protractor came to mind when I bought that stamp. It sounds like you are really busy!

      Delete
  6. I love b-sides, too - with a pop of an a-side to liven things up a little! Love your layouts, the first is so cheerful and the second so special :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a 'B' side girl too....great LOs Ginger!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely a B side fan too - all those lovely ledger papers and graph patterns are usually on the back. Beautiful pages - you've got me thinking about that watermelon paper because I'm sure I have some tucked away too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in the B sides fan group, especially for background, I use them a lot more than cardstock for backgrounds. Your page have such a great mix of colors and patterns, this class must be great fun! And since I see Sian bringing it up too, I believe that the watermelon paper is from Jillibean Soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly, I'm never sure which side is which, I just use what I love. Great job with Shimelle's prompts. I've created a few layouts, but have gotten behind on even reading the prompts this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun way to use little used colors/prints.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete