Sunday, August 5, 2012

Storytelling Sunday | August 2012 Edition

Good Day to you! Here we are the first Sunday of the month in which Sian with "From High in the Sky"asks us to join in with telling a story. The story can be told in any way you like and you can read more about how you can join in Storytelling Sunday here.

Sian has suggest a theme of "Summer Lovin" and I was initially going to tell a different story today, but then this one popped into my brain!

It has not gone unsaid that Fall is my favourite season, but these days Summer is running a close second. I love the month of August as there are birthday celebrations, warm weather, peaches and an anniversary...

Throughout the Summer months there are many festivals and this weekend marks the Big Valley Jamboree's 20th Anniversary... however, in my mind this venue will always mark our own Anniversary, as 16 years ago it is where Marvin and I spent our first date!

I will share the lead up to this date as it would not have happened if a certain girl had not initiated an interest... While attending university, I worked at "The Moose Lodge", I was a bartender/waitress and Marvin assisted his friend Rob who was the chef at the lodge. Marvin helped out once a month when it was seniors night which included a dinner and dance. For months we would say hello in passing. I did not pay too much attention to him because I had just broke up with someone and was not interested in dating!

A few months later the staff I worked with tried to set us up but it did not work very well because neither of us had any inclination as to what was happening. Another month passed and I had enough courage to call him at his work on a busy Saturday. Although he said he was busy we sure chatted for a long time! (He likes to talk). I asked him if he would like to go out for a coffee or drink sometime and  was a bit disappointed when he did not bite at my invitation. I felt he was likely not interested.

I didn't think much more of it until I received a phone call from him several days later, asking if I would like to attend the Big Valley Jamboree this Sunday! I cannot tell you how enthusiastic my response was because I loved country music and had never been before, and of course I wanted to see him! I was taken aback though when he asked "Are you sure?" Wait a second here I thought, who asks one out on a date and then says "are you sure"?... He sensed my confusion and mentioned it was only because this was a full day event, not to mention an hour long drive outside of the city so if things did not go well, we would be stuck together for the entire day! I couldn't help but burst out laughing! I told him I would take my chances!

The date was a hit... he was a true gentleman and made sure he broughtan an extra sweater, a ball cap, sun tan lotion and chairs for us! We chatted all day and enjoyed listening to the music while doing so. By the time the evening rolled around and Randy Travis was singing his hit, "Forever and Ever, Amen" we both knew we had lots in common and there would most definitely be a second date!

Of course I do not have a photo of the first date, but do have this unedited one taken several months later!

That is it for my story this month. If you would like to read other stories, then come and join us at Sian's.

19 comments:

  1. That's lovely Ginger :o) So glad you finally got together after a couple of false starts x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely story,Ginger....what a great start to your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww....sounds like a super first date Ginger xx love the photo too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a lovely romantic story! I just love the thought that you were happy to spend the day in each other's company right from the very beginning..says it all, really :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good idea - spending a day together means you have time to relax and really get to know each other. Glad you both managed to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How happy you both look in your photograph and what a delightful story of how you met and dated. Happy Jamboree weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story, I do like a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story and the pic of you two, you were babies! Did he ever tell you why he didn't jump at the coffee date you proposed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story! I almost offered the story of my first date, so glad to read yours.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh look at the two of you! A gorgeous photo Ginger and you both continue to look as happy in more recent photos I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very brave of you both to have such an extended first date but it was obviously meant to be! You guys look very happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story..and a lovely pic..I love happy endings too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh I love your story and such a happy ending, romcoms are my favourite sort of film I think and this would be a great plot in one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, that's a lovely story, Ginger - and how could you NOT fall for such a perfect gentleman? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful first date it sounds like - I, too, love country music. I really need to write the story of how we met & our long distance courtship. Enjoyed your story so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story Ginger - you two make such a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a beautiful story and it all worked out in the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, this is such a sweet story, Ginger. I always love reading about how people met and ended up together. :o)

    ReplyDelete