Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Story of the Hamster Escapade and the Comet

It is that time of the month for Storytelling Sunday. A gathering of bloggers throughout the world sharing stories with photos. If you like, you can click on the link above to read more stories, or if you fancy a go at it you can read more here.

This is a photo of my Grandpa and his Comet... there are many memories that come with this car, but the one that my sister Arlene recollects is the one that stands out in my mind the most - it has to do with her pet hamster, Sandy.

One day my mom, Arlene and my Grandmother all drove in the Comet to Saskatoon to purchase a new pet hamster for Arlene. Now you can imagine how excited my sister was in the back seat with her furry pet... knowing the drive is a little more than an hour long, it would be quite difficult for any young child to not open the box and touch the little guy... let alone pick him up to get acquainted. Yes, that is exactly what my older sister did! Well that's when all heck broke loose and not surprisingly, Sandy manged to free himself and did what any hamster would under these circumstances. He scurried through my mom's feet, and with all the mass panic and chaos, he was able to get up into the dash where no one could catch him.

It wasn't much later, when they arrived back at Grandma & Grandpa's home, and Arlene proceeded to tell Grandpa what transpired. Grandpa must have felt really bad for Arlene, (or he was probably more worried about a dead hamster in the car!) so he gathered some food and the cage, and proceeded to sit in the vehicle overnight... the entire time waiting for Sandy the hamster to show his whiskers... and he did, at which point Grandpa locked the door to the cage and brought the hamster to Arlene that morning!

And there my friends is the story of the hamster escapade and my Grandpa's Comet!

Thank you for stopping by for Storytelling Sunday. If you want to read more stories then come on over to From High in the Sky!

21 comments:

  1. Grandpa did a wonderful thing for Arlene! I love your story today Ginger and that photo is pretty fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost count of the time sI have told DD to wait until she gets home to open the new toy because she'll lose bits and then spent ages crawling around the car floor to find them.
    Your story could have had a lost less happy ending. I thought you were going to say that the hamster ran under the pedals and your Mother narrowly missed crashing the car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic Grandpa. That is dedication. May also have been worried about what damage it would do to the wiring too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a lovely lovely story! The thought of that wonderful Grandpa has put a big smile on my face this morning (and I love the car too - we didn't have too many like that round here lol). I love this story Ginger, thank you, and now I'm off to tell TSO, who loves to talk about hamsters

    ReplyDelete
  5. how great is your grandpa rescuing the hamster great story xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely grandpa....bet she was soooo relieved

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah for Grandpas! Lovely story Ginger
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great set up for your story (the Comet, the hamster) and your Grandpa ends up as a real hero!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my - yes, hamsters are great escapologists! Hooray for Grandpa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww what a lovely Grandpa to sit and wait all night for the hamster. I'm so glad the story had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely Grandpa! I'm glad he managed to catch the allusive hampster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful story Ginger & what an understanding Grandpa to do his best to get that hamster back for your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful Grandpa, love the story and the photo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. what won't a grandpa do for his grandchild? great story Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad there was a happy ending! Great story

    ReplyDelete
  16. I confess now that while a little part of my brain was saying "what a fantastic Grandpa" most of my brain was saying "Saskatoon? Saskatoon! I have a cousin that lives in Battleford, that's not too far from Saskatoon!" I know, I know Saskatchewan is a HUGE place but....
    And your Grandpa is really fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful story and photograph. And your Grandpa was a star to stay up all night. Glad all ended happily for your sister's hampster.

    ReplyDelete
  18. GInger I do love your photo - I will have to show my DH later........he will love Grandpa's car!!

    great story, when i was younger my sister had a hamster who always escaped and the little mite caused lots of damage....I'm so glad your grandpa camped out in the comet to capture the hamster.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic Grandpa and story :o) Sorry I'm late in visiting. It's taken me all week to get round the stories!

    ReplyDelete