Monday, June 25, 2012

Change in Landscape...

Last year when we planted our shrubs and trees in our backyard, we knew we needed a long term plan drawn up by a landscaper. Jeff gave us some drawings with a few different options. Looking up at these spruce trees in the evening on a moonlit night is magical, and although my heart wanted to keep this tree, I knew unless we removed it we would not be able to access or utilize parts of the yard if we were going to follow thru with the plan.

This tree is more than 44 years old and today it came down... Marvin stayed home to watch it... he said it took less than an hour... seems unreal, 44 years to grow but down in minutes.

Here is what we are left with....

The plan for now is to fill the area in with sod. A raised bed garden will be developed on the side of the house with a pergola built at the entrance, along with more trees planted along the fence. More work will be completed in the front yard for which I will share photos of next week.

We have a very busy week ahead, my parents will be be here on Friday along with my other two siblings. We are celebrating my dad's 80th birthday, and I think he will enjoy the fact there will be some action for him to supervise whilst here. It's Canada Day this weekend too so we will be celebrating this as well.

I will leave you with a photo of the card I made my brother in law, Wes, whose birthday was celebrated this past Saturday... It was great to visit with them and their friends.

Have a fantastic week everyone!

10 comments:

  1. We recently had to have some tress taken down and it still looks odd to me for them to be gone. Happy birthday to your dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the end result will be worth it....we took down a couple of conifers and it opened up our garden so much....and has allowed us to plant so many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit sad to see such a beautiful tree go, but I know you will enjoy your garden of the future as well! Love the colors in the card,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that card design -

    Always sad when an old tree comes down but sounds like it will make such a difference to your garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your partying! That's a perfect male card - I really couldn't like it anymore than I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difference taking the tree down makes! Looking forward to seeing how your garden develops over the coming months :) Enjoy your Dad's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really opens up your yard - but you lose a bit of privacy too. Hopefully it'll all come together the way you want it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing the garden develop...enjoy your dad's birthday!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. it does makes a difference doesn't it. Look forward to seeing how it progresses.

    enjoy all the birthday celebrations - fab card x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always sad when trees are cut down, but sometimes they just grow too big for their position. Good luck with your garden plans and I love the card. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete