Sunday, March 18, 2012

More She Art | Aunt Meta

I'm sorry I have not been around to read your blogs much lately, but I am in such a creative mood that it has been hard to not want to work on projects and this one is something I have had on my mind for quite some time. I am so happy I was able to complete it this weekend.

Last Summer when we were home my mom had a box full of photos and ephemera that my grandmother had kept. When I saw all the letters Aunt Meta had written to grandma it made me appreciate this small glimpse into her life as I have never had the opportunity to meet her. I knew I wanted to make a She Art.

You can see in this photo the items. There was her high school diploma, a St. John's Ambulance certificate, and a letter she wrote grandma for Mother's Day. In the letter she was asking what most young girls ask their parents when they are away at school... she was short of funds for her High School Graduation... she was asking for a couple dollars - the material for her dress cost "nearly $5.00".  She was explaining how she was "suppose to have fingerless gloves too besides a corsage".

I scanned the items and printed them off and placed them on the canvas as above.

Here is the photo that drew my inspiration...



Here is how it turned out....
Thanks for looking :)

What inspired you this weekend?

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Ginger. This is SO amazing...I'm almost at a loss for words. When I saw your post title I was a bit taken back. My late mother-in-law was raised by her Aunt Meta, and she even named her daughter after her (my sweet SIL, Meta). So unusual to hear that name, and especially to see it as "Aunt Meta." Then! I open this post and see this amazing work of art. Oh my gosh, it's just over the top gorgeous. Wow. My mouth literally fell open in awe. It's just fantastic!!!

    What inspired me this weekend? You, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Ginger, it's amazing! I gasped, it really is beautiful. You did such a great job!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Ginger!! I love how you were inspired... it looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and moving - the creative muse is definately with you. Love the idea. Love the clothes. Love the words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ginger,
    I so love this! Her pants! Her pants are perfect! This so inspires me - it makes me want to go pull out the box of family treasures I picked up last time I was in Los Angeles. I remember there were bunches of prayer cards and lots of teeny, tiny photos. I know I'll be down the rabbit hole once I start though . . .
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely Ginger! I've been doing some re-organizing, which always seems to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it love it love it love it! It is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely wonderful,Ginger....I love the finished piece....and also how you've taken us through the process of how it came about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginger, this is gorgeous! I love how you shared your inspiration for the piece..and the piece itself?.....WOW!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Ginger! I've seen Christy do this and always wondered... does it bother you at all that by the time you are done you almost can't see anything of those Aunt Meta documents you layered on? I think that would bug me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ..I'm guessing it doesn't bother you at all, otherwise you wouldn't do it :) Plus, I think all you need is a suggestion, because the very act of making the piece and then being able to look at it conjures that ephemera up in your head. It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Ginger you have outdone yourself on this one, it is stunning. I love the entire canvas with the reds, blacks and grays but the figure is brilliant!!! I am truly inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cheri! I completely understand what you are asking - yes the thought does go through your mind for sure, but it is like Sian says, I really enjoyed the process in making this piece and I know what is underneath. Also, there are some words I was careful not to cover, I can still see them, and I added a few things that make it even more special to me. Hope that helps to answer your question :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a stunning piece of art Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first picture...with the pants!?!?!? I was smitten at that point, and then came the icing on the cake!

    What a beautiful tribute to a fine lady. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Ginger, she's gorgeous! I LOVE the pants! I don't wear skirts/dresses unless I am forced to. I love that you put her in fun pants! :)

    ReplyDelete