Monday, January 2, 2012

Are You Doing Project Life?

I have to admit this is something I've had floating around in my head since I did Week in The Life this summer. What solidified it was a conversation I had with my friend Amy. I mentioned I was not sure if I had time for this, and she pointed out it is not really a project, but perhaps a different way of scrapbooking. That made sense to me. I really have no idea what my schedule is going to be like once I start classes, but I don't want to stop documenting our life for what could be 3-4 years of school. Ali had a really great post this morning on her blog explaining her approach to PL. I know I will not manage daily photos, but I can take photos of what is happening during our week and that is how the stories will be told.

One would think if I had been thinking of this since the summer, I might have planned it out a bit better! I decided not to get a Project Life Kit, but would not hesitate next year - to make things more simple. I went to Treasured Memories last week with PL in mind and made my own kit and here is what I came up with.

 These are some of the fun things I picked out. I am using the Crate Paper - Random Collection elements and papers. I also picked out some Jillibean soup - Sweet & Sour Soup papers. I love the buttons and ephemera I picked out as well. The Glitz alphabet letters and Jenni Bowlin Studio stickers will come in handy as well.

In the middle here, you can see I have cut all my papers into 4x6 so they are ready to go. I bought some Hambly overlays and have cut a few of those up as well. I already mentioned I am using Crate Paper & Jillibean Soup papers, but I also picked out some Glitz (most of the navy blue ones), and Graphic 45 - Tropical Travelogue Collection. I managed to pick up some of the Crate Paper journaling cards, but didn't think it would be enough. So I did purchase the Celementine journaling cards from Jessica Sprague.


Becky Higgins has all of her Project Life kits available in a digital format at Jessica Sprague. I created pdf files of the cards and can easily print them off throughout the year when I need more.

The only thing I will need more of are the page protectors. I did get some at TM last week and I have some left from WITL.

There you have it. What about you? Are you doing Project Life?

10 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of the way you put things together. As much as I would like to take part, I've realised I'm rubbish at following through on classes. So I think I'll watch you with interest and just keep wishing I'd taken part :)

    Happy new year to you. May 2012 bring you all the happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just done 8 months of PL and really enjoyed it. I've also chatted to Amy about the pros and cons ~ I'm continuing in to 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short answer - no. I think if I had a printer for my photographs I might do it.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. No.... not because I don't like it but because I don't trust myself in following through.... I have so many unfinished projects I can't justify starting that big of a project! I can't wait to see yours though! By the goodies you have picked, I am sure it will look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow PL is right up my street but also I know that I can't do it! It's not the commitment, it's the planning that fails me and there would no way for me to get a kit over here. I love the idea and really kind of want to do it, but somehow I don't! I've restarted my photo a day project but that is a bit more random. I'm looking at other ways to encapsulate the everyday in my pages.

    I'll be watching here with interest and who knows, maybe next year :-)

    Oh and I agree with Sandra that you are so good at preparing things - so very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your choices Ginger - this is going to be one gorgeous, colourful album! I'm not sure a whole project life is for me - it sounds so intense, but at the same time I can really really see the value of doing it even for one year. I'm conflicted! One thing's for sure - I'm going to enjoy watching you at work

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, I've been doing it for a few months and will continue. I made my own kit too - from my stash.

    I want to include some other things in it next year - like photo classes, memes etc.

    I do one side of the double spread per week - and sometimes an insert A4 too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to happily sit on the sidelines and enjoy your beautiful creations. I have neither the time nor inclination to do PL... I never even finished WITL last year! If I can't finish one week, I hate to think what a mess I'd make of a year long project that requires constant documentation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a glorious spread of colour! This is going to be a wonderful project ... I haven't decided yet how to scrap during this year, so I admire your determination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you've done a splendid job of pulling stuff together - I'll be following how you get on with it. I'm doing it too, but decided to start with the kit, because I can always add to it. Wish me luck, as I wish you.

    ReplyDelete