Friday, December 9, 2011

Storytelling Sunday - Friday!

I know... I know... a little late, but I have time now and hence today!

Sticking with the Christmas theme and... since it is the last Storytelling Sunday of the year I could not help but try to find some old Christmassy photos to share... which leads me to the Tale of My two Christmases. (Fits with JYC as well, therefore killing two birds with one stone!).

When we were children, we had two sets of grandparents whilst growing up. In order to determine which set we were discussing, we labelled them. "Town grandma & grandpa" lived in town (imagine that!) and "BC grandma & grandpa" lived... guess where? Well, they lived in BC, otherwise known as British Columbia. Actually, to be more specific they lived in Kamloops, but that did not sound as good as BC.

So what about the Christmas story? Well, every second Christmas we would spend with BC grandma & grandpa and so what that meant is... we were allowed to have an early Christmas.... The photo below shows us opening our gifts and celebrating Christmas at home a few days before travelling to Kamloops. I know this, otherwise we would be opening our gifts on Christmas Eve and it would be much darker and the tree would be bigger! The tree is this photo is just a little one... my mom would not have put up a big tree if we were not staying at home to enjoy it. Oh and by the way, I am the one on the left holding the viewfinder.
On the day of travel, my mom would wake us up at 3:30 AM so we could all be in the vehicle with our already packed bags and leave the yard by 4 AM! We had to make a good start to drive the 1000 + km across two provinces (not to mention two time zones) and be in Kamloops by 8 PM. Usually, us children would sleep for the first hour... then slowly but surely we would all awaken, then it was time to have some fun... We played all kinds of car games... like I spy with my little eye, my mom would by us little puzzle books, but I could not have anything to do with reading as I tended to get car sick. That's why I got to sit in the front. We would sing songs like "there's a hole in the bucket", or "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" , "99 bottles of beer on the wall" (not the most child friendly song, but we focused on the countdown which is all that mattered). One Christmas we got to play with "Simon Says" which pretty much drove my dad mad and we had to stop so he could put it in the trunk at which point we started singing "99 bottles of Beer". There were many threats of the vehicle stopping for us to walk there... but we always managed to arrive and always by 8 PM... (18 hours later)...
We enjoyed our week long visits...and another Christmas celebration with family.
There you have it... a Tale of Two Christmases and the last Storytelling Sunday of this year... you can read more stories at Sian's From High in the Sky...

Have a wonderful weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I can almost hear your Dad as my Dad sounded just the same on long car drives!
    Love these groovy photos Ginger - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a journey and a half,Ginger....I can almost hear your dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for Storytelling Friday! This is wonderful - so much atmosphere and excitement especially with those evocative old photos. I can just imagine the thrill of getting up at that time of the morning - it must have been amazing fun

    Ginger, thank you so much for joining in so enthusiastically this year. I have loved every one of your stories. We all have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes all those songs to pass the time in the car - we sang them too on the long drive to visit family.

    I love the photos - so evoctive of their time

    ReplyDelete
  5. a lovely story and brilliant photos i love that you are all smiling in the first one.

    My nephew calls one set of grandparents - nan and grandad miles away by the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your story Ginger and I love that first photo.... My kids have had many "Two Christmases" but we usually surprise them with gifts under the tree at home after the visit to the grandparents :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story Ginger..that was a long drive your dad had!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Golly, what a drive to do in winter! I love the nostalgia of your photos and the great two-Christmas story ... Such a privilege to get a glimpse into the life of someone a long way away. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story & such fun photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay! Glad you shared a Christmas story. We sang those songs too and "Little Cabin in the Wood" the main difference being we only had to drive 20 miles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a long drive! me and my sister would have nearly killed each other on such a journey ;-) Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a loooong journey!! We just don't have those kind of distances in England!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! What a long journey that was. I can't imagine travelling that distance in the back seat of a car with my brother! Thankyou for sharing those wonderful old photos. I'm happy to know I guessed right, as to which one is you, in the first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never too late for storytelling! And I think I had those same clothes and spent time in those same living rooms! LOL!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete