Monday, November 14, 2011

PSE Actions

With yesterdays post many of you commented on the "atmosphere" of the photos. I told you how I felt they were not stellar, and Sian had questioned if I used any actions... and the answer is yes...  I use the "Pioneer Woman's" Actions... they are a wonderful way to take your photos and give them the look that so many photographers use... now I am no photographer and I am not an expert in any of the terminology so this is more a post to show you in particular how you can make a not so good photo into something that is better, and the best part? Next to them being free... well it would have to be the one click to make the action work...

Here is a photo board so you can see the difference...

The first photo shows you how muted it was. Very washed out looking. The next photo I used the "define sharp" action. I use this one on almost every photo I post. It gives it a bit of a crisper look. Most of the time it's all a photo needs. However, then you see a huge difference in the third photo. I could have stopped there, but I really wanted that old 70's look. The "Seventies" action is my favourite.

There are a few other places you can go to buy actions for PSE or Photoshop... I think Florabella has some of the most drool worthy actions out there... now why have I not purchased any yet? I don't know... perhaps I need to give my head a shake! Any family reading this post? Christmas is coming (hint) (hint) :)

Ciao for now!

9 comments:

  1. I have been drooling over the Florabella actions for ages ... they are just lovely but I am not sure how much I would use them?
    I am actually just about to embark on making my own actions - I do the same edit for all my photos - the basic sharpen,resize and contrast. Anyway, I have read that they are not too hard to make so I might try it .. when I have a moment or two that is, I would say I'll need a bit of time on my first try.

    I think your photoboard today is a great example of how helpful they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to see the changes in your photo. I have never used actions before (I have a really outdated version of PSE) but I use picnik.com sometimes and get some good results with that (it is also mostly free and no need for registration)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really understood what actions did but your storyboard was perfect for showing the difference they make. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great page showing the differences - I like your 70s effect. Just suits the photo so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually do have a Florabella set! I love them - they are completely idiot proof. And yes, I would like to buy more. I have also been trying out a free trial version of Radlab and having fun with that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had PSE9 since Christmas and still know only the basics. I need to spend more time with it, I didn't even know you could buy "actions"! Love the storyboard, it illustrates the differnces beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to go download Ree's actions and play with them. I had some on my old computer but they aren't exactly portable and a total pain to download and reload so I've stopped using them. But I've always wanted to try Ree's so I just need to do it! :) Love that 70's look too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginger, I've fallen so far behind! It's been lovely to catch up with your recent posts: the difference these actions make is astounding; I love your Yesterday & Today work; your collection of Mail Art is fab - oh, it's all been a lot of fun to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great demonstration of those actions. I use the PW ones too - not often but sometimes. Most of the time I'm way too lazy and just use what I have in iPhoto!

    ReplyDelete