Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tom Cat Howl - Storytelling Sunday

Note: This may be a bit of a sad tale, but it does have a happy ending :)

Growing up on a farm taught me all kinds of lessons. As a young child I loved to play with the animals, mostly the kittens... and lord knows there were lots of them. Every Spring and Fall a new batch would be born and most never survived due to many various dangers. One of them being the Tom Cat.



It was not unusual to have the window to the bedroom open during the Spring in the night hours. On one such night I recall hearing a high pitch scream... I did not know what to make of it, but it continued for about an hour, or for what seemed like an hour to a young child. I soon fell back to sleep thankful the noise had stopped.

The next morning when I woke up I went outside to visit with the kitties and to give them their breakfast. What I saw horrified me to this day. All my kittens were mutilated and laying by the dog house with the momma cat meowing beside them. I ran inside the house to tell my parents what I saw. My dad came outside and said it was likely a Tom Cat... that made no sense to me back then... I did not know what a Tom Cat was... Why would another cat kill kittens?

Well as you can imagine I was fairly distraught... Everyone told me not to worry, there would be more kittens.... they were right.... but this time I would be prepared.

The next time I heard the "Tom Cat" howling... I walked down the stairs to my parents bedroom... "Dad?" I whispered... "are you awake?", "What's wrong?" he asked. I told him I could hear the Tom Cat. He got up out of bed and we both went outside. There were the kittens in the dog house... they were all okay. Dad said we could go back inside now, but I wouldn't go for that. I told him I wanted to take them inside with me. So we found a large box and placed a towel inside it. All of the kittens were brought into the house and placed on the floor beside my bed. I never heard a Tom Cat howl after that... and that my friends is how I learned one way to keep my kittens from danger.

I hope you enjoyed today's story by way of Sian's Storytelling Sunday. If you would like to read more of the stories, please click on the link. You can also participate by linking up to Sian's "linky" at the end of her post.

15 comments:

  1. I think it is a really hard thing growing up when pets/animals die at the hands of another. I was devastated when my rabbit got eaten by a fox. Well done on protecting the kittens xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard when as small children we lose animals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear,Ginger...this is much worse than phantom killer frogs!! Thank goodness you managed to save subsequent litters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been really hard! I think I would have been devastated - though I know farm kids have a more robust attitude than most of the rest of us!

    that's another story with soemthing to think about in it. Your picture reminded me of a little white kitten with a grey tip on her tail which we brought home from a farm to live with us when I was about 6.

    Thanks for the story Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that must have been heart breaking for you. So glad you saved the next litter :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no, that's terrible. I didn't know a tom cat would do such a thing. I am glad you managed to keep further kittens from danger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you learned a lesson & found a way to keep the new kittens safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you managed to save the next litter of kittens!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Alison, I am so glad you managed to save the next litter of kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How determined of you to get up and do something about it at such a tender age: a wonderful life-giving (literally) story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a horrible thing to have happened to those poor kittens. Good on you for sticking to your principles and keeping the next set of kittens safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a sad story. We had kittens as well, and I had a similar sad experience with a neighbor's dog.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a story! yes well done for rescuing the next litter xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, what a sad story, but as you said, does have a happy ending. Very well-written. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you did the right thing - what a strange tale!

    ReplyDelete