Monday, August 22, 2011

A Great Loss For All Canadians

You may not have agreed with his politics... but you cannot deny that he was a great leader. His letter to all Canadians is a testament that he was here to make a difference. To spend his final hours writing a letter to all of us and to those who are suffering from cancer with a message to never give up hope even though his own fight has ended.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."        The Honourable Jack Layton, leader of the New Democrat Party of Canada, and Official Leader of the Opposition.

I suggest if you are Canadian you read his inspiring words. You can read his letter here.



Disclaimer: Please note this post is no reflection of my own political views, but shows that I am sad to see someone who was so energetic and passionate, someone who loved this country and believed in making a better Canada, pass on.

8 comments:

  1. You said it so well Ginger. I was shocked when I heard the news yesterday morning even though we knew it was coming - but never thought it would be so quick. I didn't agree with his political beliefs but so admired him. He had integrity and passion and so wanted to help his fellow Canadians. As you said it was a great loss to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though not a Canadian, I read the letter and it brought tears to my eyes...he just sounded like a GOOD person..a sad loss indeed! TFS Ginger
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very moving thought - thank you for posting this Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sat there yesterday staring blankly at the TV, overcome with such sadness and anger towards cancer. Although not NDP, I watched him closley. Admiring his passion, determination and work ethic. Thanks for sharing this post for others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally an NDP supporter, and was shocked when I heard the news. My email that morning had one last message from him to his supporters...but I must admit that I haven't read it yet as things are still too fresh for that.

    I was happy to see this post, and the comments, and know that he was able to cross party boundaries and inspire others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great man who thinks of otters in his pain. I'm not a Canadian, but I'm still moved by his thoughts of others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A powerful letter full of such moving words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tribute to a great Canadian. Thanks for marking Jack's passing on your blog, Ginger. It's so gratifying to know that Canadians can come together to mourn this terrible loss without letting petty party politics interfere.

    ReplyDelete