Thursday, August 4, 2011

Digital Card Tutorial - Part II

Yesterday I shared Part I to this post, you can see it here. Today I plan to show you how I made the insert for the card by using brushes. I don't think I mentioned this yesterday, but if you click on the photo you will see a much larger version.

Now I want to say that there are many ways to do things in PSE, so perhaps there is a simpler way, but this is how I chose to make mine. I made the inserts so that I would have 4 to one page. I did not feel like messing around with printing the insert on the other side of the already printed front... I'm sure there is a way to do that.

My card size was 4.25 x 5.5, so 2 cards per 8.5 x11 page.  Start with opening a new file in PSE with the following measurements: 4 x 5.25, this will be your background.
Next, open up your kit and pick your paper. I used this kit from Jessica Sprague.


Click on your paper when it opens in PSE and drag it onto the white background. If  you pick a patterned paper and want the pattern to be smaller click on the corners of the paper image and pull them inwards. By using the corners it will not distort the image of the pattern.

Once you have completed that, go to your layers palette on the right side and open a new layer for your text. 
This photo shows where the new layer button is. Remember, you want the new layer above layer 1, so click on layer 1 then press the new layer button.

Here you can see the new layer, and I have already clicked on my Text tool that is why you see the "T" on that layer.
Okay, so here you can see three things. First I clicked on the text tool, then I went to the top to pick the font I wanted.. I usually adjust my font size once I start typing. Then I picked the colour of font... for this insert I used a charcoal grey.


On this photo you can see I created my text box area.


Start typing...

Once you have finished typing your invite, then create a new layer as now we will be adding some brushes. You will notice in the photograph below the font is different (I used Porcelain - you can download it for free at dafont )... this is the original version of my insert and I have smudged out the name of the person this invite is about.
Okay. Now on to the brushes. Below, you will see at the lower left I picked my "brush tool", then at the top left click on the little "arrow" pointing downward, and it will bring up your brushes. If you click on the "double arrow" to the right you will bring up another drop down menu. Click on "Load Brushes".


I chose some Rhonna Farrer brushes from House of Three... There are many great sites to purchase brushes, Jessica Sprague and Oscraps a couple places I go to, but if you googled photoshop brushes you will come up with a few choices.

Double click to select the brushes you want to load and then click on the one you like. Make sure you have the new layer picked in your layers palette and ensure you have the right colour picked. I went ahead with the same colour I used for the text.
Just start adding the brushes where ever you like... if you don't like where you placed it then press the undo button and start over. Here you will see how you can change the angle of the brush. At the top of the screen, click on the brush... then click and move the angle.
Almost done! Here is what my brushes look like... Too dark right? well we can fix that. Look below. I changed the opacity of the brush, make sure your brush layer is highlighted.

 This is the final version of the insert. 

 Stay tuned for Part III on how I printed and assembled the card.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial!
I hope your day is full of creativeness!

Ginger

4 comments:

  1. Ginger, your explanation today and yesterday has been so detailed, this is really going to help a lot of people. What I find interesting is that I use CS3 and quite a few things are different - I suppose that is to be expected!I always wish PS had the work bin which appears at the bottom of the screen, it doesn't and it would be very helpful, how you adjust your brush is slightly different too ... it just goes to show, there are many ways to get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! I did love this - it made the whole brushes thing seem completely achievable. You have a talent for clear explanation - more, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great tutorial Ginger. I've only used a brush a couple of times during some of Jessica Sprague's classes - I need to try it out on my own sometime and see what I can remember. (Now I know where to check back for another reference, too!) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great talent for explaining things, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete