Saturday, May 21, 2011

Art Room Improvements!

So far the long weekend has been good! Yesterday I did some cleaning and then in the evening I started a project I have been meaning to do for a couple months. I moved my art room into the smaller bedroom about 1.5 years ago and during that time I was making mental notes of how I would like to change things. I wanted to give myself that time and not rush into purchasing a whole bunch of storage equipment as I wanted to be sure of what I needed and what was going to work. After taking "Finding Your Way" with Karen Grundberg, I knew a bit more about how I wanted to make my space work for me. Part of what was frustrating was how far things were from my immediate reach. Here is a photo before...

You can see that I had lots crammed on top of my desk which left very little room to actually work.

Here are a few after shots...
I wanted my workspace to be in a U shape, so now my table is in the middle of the room which allows me to walk around it.

My cabinet holds all the things I don't need every time I craft, but even so they are closer now.


All of the items I use most frequently are within reach to my right... as well I do have my paints under the table so they are even closer. The table has lots of room to work and lay things out... Now that I have figured the layout of my art room, I will have more time to create and clean up should be easier, not to mention I now know where I will place shelves! I can't wait to start crafting!!


What about you? How does your crafting space work for you?



13 comments:

  1. Ginger, this looks great. I like that you have more items within reach now and more space to actually work on the table. I love the way my room is set up with a craft table & shelves along one long wall and my desk along the opposite wall with about four feet between. It's easy to reach everything and to turn around and use the compter if I want. Have fun with revised workspace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Ginger. Love the cabinet! Mine definitely doesn't work for me. Maybe I can get DH over to Ikea tomorrow and we can work on it on Monday - it is supposed to rain so.. Sounds like a good way to spend the holiday doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Love the cat on the cabinet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. your room looks great, very organised and very tidy, total opposite to mine! I inherited a big 'desk' that was orogonally for the desk top to sit on so it doesn't have that much space to actually craft on. Plus the light isn't great so I tend to craft on the dining table!! PS love the furry on top of the cabinet so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to have a dedicated craft space...we have a combined dining room/study/craft room which can be very frustrating at times....luckily the table is large, so I don't have to clear everything away when we want to eat.I've tried to organise as best I can....but it still requires a lot of 'moving around' the room when I'm crafting!!
    Yours is looking very organised and user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its good to get your space working for you. I recently had my space re-organised and now have to share it with the children as their TV room. My area is now more compact but I seem to use it more! The only issue I have is that my husband likes to work at the desk, so I keep having to tidy everything away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is a work in progress but is getting there. Yours looks great - now get in there scrapping :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you have things stylishly hidden away in that wooden cabinet.

    My space is fine - apart from the fact that it is on the fourth floor, so I don't often rush up there to fit in a quick five minutes of crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like you have been busy. it's great to have the opportunity to work with a blank sheet sometimes and the time to really think it through - looking forward to all the creativity that will be generated by this new design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We must be on the same wavelength. I've been attacking the home office (which houses my crafting area) for the last week. It's a bit of a challenge to get a room that has to be so many things to be functional. I'm trying though I want to make it functional and a pleasant place to work so I don't feel like like I'm in a cave.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks well worth the effort Ginger, I so need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely light space, and hope it inspires you to even greater heights - you've obviously given it all a lot of thought and it's paid off.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is no way I could ever show you my work space now! Your room is lovely, so tidy and organised. I am deeply, deeply ashamed of mine now !

    ReplyDelete