Sunday, May 1, 2011

Storytelling Sunday....


Another month has passed and we are at Storytelling Sunday... If you are unaware of what Storytelling Sunday is you can join in by checking out Sian's blog as this is where it all starts... and feel free to tell your own story and link up...

Some of you may be aware that I accidentally published my Storytelling Sunday post last week without it being complete. This story was taken from a speech I had written for my sister's "Toast To the Bride", where it was directed at my sister Carmen and her sense of determination... but really what I wanted to share here was what life was like for my mom because Mother's Day is one week from today.

Growing up on a farm required every bit of help from all of us children as my mom had lots of chores... the chores were endless... One hot summer evening whilst weeding the garden with mom, we heard a blood curdling scream... now one might think with 5 children growing up together there were many moments of high drama requiring attention from my mother, but that was rarely the case... at least that's what my memory says.... 

The scream came from Arlene who was running towards the garden, although I could not see her, I could hear her footsteps and then the sound of thrashing trees. She was making her way  to where we were kneeling; sobbing and shaking, her only words...“MOM come quick!!”.  We ran to the house and there was Carmen in the kitchen... blood spurting out of her lip, dripping down the front of her shirt.  I was about 5 years old at the time and remember thinking... "this doesn't look good"... and then I started crying thinking my older sister was dying...

Now my mom loved us very much but thinking back at her life managing a busy household with 5 kids, gardening, yard-work and helping out with the farm... this was likely the last thing she needed... “WHAT were  you KIDS doing??”  It would appear Carmen and Arlene decided to play a game... a common game I should think...“who can hold their breath the longest?”.

It was obvious Carmen won after passing out and slamming her chin against the kitchen cupboard while biting her lip. In those days it was very rare to make a trip the hospital. The nearest one was a 30 minute drive, so mostly we were given some sort of home remedy and sent on our way, but on this occasion mom drove Carmen to the hospital where she received stitches on her lip. 

We certainly kept my mom hopping!

To my mom... Happy Mother's Day... next Sunday :)




18 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a head/mouth wound to produce the blood! My Mum was a really busy Mum with four of us - it is wonderful to remember the stories that involve them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What a stalwart lady, your Mum! And a truly charming photo ... is this is a new blog header by the way? (or have I just been unobservant!) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a heartstopping story, and a beautiful photo! I'm so glad no permanent damage was done and your sister was just fine in the end. I'll bet that put an end to that particular game though. Your poor mum!

    Thank you for joining Storytelling Sunday, Ginger. It was worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things kids will do. I come from a large family too...I'm still amazed at how few accidents/doctor visits the bunch of us had. I bet your toast brought back fond memories for both your mom and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that picture Ginger...and I'm sure my own mum remembers moments like these!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous photo,Ginger....I'm sure all mums will recognize those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely photo Ginger. I know how busy my Mum was with two I can't even imagine with 5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i remember a similar sunday experience with my lil sister who had fallen over at a neighbours and came back with blood pouring from her hand. she had fainted with the sight of it and still isnt good with blood but me the ever genetically born nurse was fine. cant remember if she went to hospital but i remember the occassion well,
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous photo Ginger and a lovely memory of your mother. I come from a large family too and love to remember stories of my mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a wonderful photo - and a great story to share. Thank you J x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful photo capturing such a tender moment. Thanks for sharing it and your story:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the photo! Great story, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photo, and what a great story to go with it! I think moms can tell the difference between ordinary screams and real screams!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. that picture is soooo sweet! I think bleedig wounds are a shock for most people but especially 5 year olds!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely story and a beautiful photograph

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous photo and a great story - from everyone but your sister's POV! Love the new look to your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and your four siblings must have kept your mother on her toes! I'm glad that Carmen wasn't too seriously hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photo; great story. Reminds me of one my mother-in-law tells on my hubby - competing with your sibling on holding your breath rarely works out for the good.

    ReplyDelete