Friday, April 29, 2011

Lighten Up Blog Hop - April 2011

Welcome to the Lighten Up Blog Hop! If you have come by way of Melissa's blog then please sit back and enjoy!

We love Mexican food in this house and one of the dishes I enjoy making is "Mexican Lasagna" There are certainly a few different recipes you can find online... Here is my take...


Mexican Lasagna

2 lbs ground chicken breast
1 medium sized red onion diced
1-2 diced peppers - I used a mixture of Green Bell, Anaheim and jalapeno
2-3 garlic cloves, minced (add more if you like)
1 - 19 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes (I usually use fresh tomatoes, but canned works well - just drain the juices)
1 - 14 oz can corn, frozen corn works as well (3/4 - 1 cup)
2 - Tbsp chili powder (I used a mixture of powders, you can add more or less, depending on your taste).
1 - tsp ground cumin (I always add less cumin, but that's personal preference - usually 1/2 tsp)
2 cups of a tomato pasta sauce, I used Prego
1 1/2 cup salsa (I used medium heat)
 2-3 Tbsp Cilantro, depending on your preferences
4 large or 6 small whole wheat flour tortillas
2 cups shredded light cheese (cheddar, or monterey jack)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
Light sour cream for topping.

I like to gather all of the ingredients and start by chopping up the veggies. I love putting in jalapenos, Anaheim peppers, and green peppers, along with red onion...

I also enjoy using a variety of  chili powders such as adobo, ancho (this one we got from my friend Brian's mom, which she made with ancho peppers from her garden), and chipotle... most recipes will call for cumin as well as that is a common seasoning in Mexican food.... The other seasoning I use is my Chili Garlic Sea Salt...(you can use regular salt).
I almost always make this recipe with ground chicken, I find I like the flavour and of course it cuts back on lots of the fat.

Once I have cooked the ground chicken I add the onions and peppers, and then all of the seasonings. Be certain to toast the cumin (I will usually make a well in the middle of the pan, I add a bit of olive oil, then the cumin, it brings out the flavour and makes it more pleasant).
 
Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. While the meat mixture is cooking you can prepare the lasagna pan by spraying it with a bit of cooking oil if you like. Add a light layer of sauce, then take 3 of the small tortillas (or however many you need depending on what size pan you are using) and spread them on the bottom. You may need to cut them to fit.



Once you have the tortillas in the bottom, then take the sauce and add 1/2 of it, layer with the shredded cheese, then repeat with the rest of the tortillas and sauce, ending with the cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 35 min. at 375 degrees F. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Let sit for 10 minutes, slice and add sour cream with scallions on top.

I hope you have enjoyed this recipe, now see below for your next stop!


Be Glorious - START HERE

Daily Life - Bits & Pieces

Ginger's Life Of Spice YOU ARE HERE

Holaday's Happy Hearts  NEXT BLOG

Since we have readers from all over the world we want you to be able to easily convert measurements as needed. These links take you to conversion charts. We hope you find them helpful.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/cvcookix.html
http://startcooking.com/blog/333/Measurement-and-Conversion-Charts
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/measure.html

For a chance to earn a cooking tool please leave a comment at each blog, coming back to Beverly's blog. At Beverly's blog your comment should tell which of the six recipes you are most likely to try first.

14 comments:

  1. Ginger, this looks so delicious!! Definitely going to try it, I'm sure it will be a hit with my guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my sons will love this, looking forward to trying it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I am away for a couple of weeks and spend some crazy catch up time at home and finally get back over here to visit .... WOW - Ginger, your blog looks utterly sensational! It is so clean and stylish and the pics are great and so is the font - I love it! Love the dish too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the look of this Ginger...we love Mexican food too-can't wait to try it!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a yummy recipe definitely want to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very different Ginger - I like it! It's really fun reading the American recipes and testing myself to work out the differences :0)
    Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger, this sounds yummy. We're always up for trying a new Mexican food recipe, so this will definitely be on my list. Think I'll plan for it one day this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great, Ginger! I'm always looking for new ways to use the different kinds of fresh ground chili powder my aunt sends me from New Mexico! This is now top of the list. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! That looks so good. I love mexican but it can be full of calories. I will have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting twist on the usual lasagne:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would never have thought of putting chicken in a lasagne, I make a spinach and ricotta one, but this looks yummy - will definitely try it out in the future!

    Oh and thanks for the tip about making the rounded corners on your photos that other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Mexican food too! Can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks really yummy and I know my daughter will love it!

    ReplyDelete