Sunday, March 6, 2011

Storytelling Sunday

Today is Storytelling Sunday, something Sian over at  From High In the Sky started several months ago. Now I will never profess to be a storyteller... I'm more of a "Show and Tell" person, however I thought  I would give it a go.

One morning last week Marvin and I were putting our coats on and about to leave the house for work when his Blackberry did it's little chime thingy, telling him he has a reminder... He picked it up and looked .... then started laughing in a controlled hysterical manner... at which point he told me it is our 10 year Engagement Anniversary... I couldn't help but start giggling, we shared a kiss and wished each other Happy Engagement Anniversary and off to work we went...

I started thinking about how I picked out my engagement ring... Marvin has a guy for everything... often he will say things like "okay when we do our bathroom renos we will call this guy" or "when we need to replace the sidewalk we will call this guy..." so when I look back at this story, it didn't really surprise me when he called me up over 10 years ago to tell me he had this guy show him a ring which he wanted me to have a look at... just to make sure I would like it (he was told I loved the Princess cut diamond).  Realizing with our different schedules it would be weeks before we could go together to look at the ring, I did what I believe most women would do faced with this situation... I promptly got dressed and was out the door in 15 minutes...

The ring was located in a small jewellery store in China Town... not the usual place one from these parts would expect to purchase an engagement ring... but then I was so excited. I could feel the adrenalin rushing through my veins. It didn't matter where the ring was... I was on a mission... serious business.  When I walked into the shop, the owner asked if she could help me... I explained to her that my boyfriend called to tell me of a ring he wanted me to see. She knew who I was and asked me to have a seat at which point she opened up one of the jewellery cases to pull out the ring... my heart melted and I fell in love immediately...

Approximately 2 hours had passed from when I received the phone call from Marvin. I had returned home and wasted no time picking up the phone. There was a pause when I said I had just come from looking at the ring... he laughed, not quite expecting me to follow up on his suggestion so quickly, but then realized  how could he hope for anything different, after all this would result in an event that would  mark a date which would be remembered years to come...

Note the Emerald cut :)

9 comments:

  1. What a great story - and you told it so well. Your enthusiasm came through every sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful ring, and what a lovely story! I don't think I've ever documented the story of our engagement, and I really must... Thanks for reminding me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really lovely ring....with a great story to match.I never actually had an engagement ring myself....but my wedding ring was my mother's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! The story of our engagement includes a pile of ironing, a Pope's funeral and a Royal wedding ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ring, beautiful story Ginger! I'm so glad you shared this one with us today - and you are a story teller, for sure, because a story like this which gets others telling their stories round the same subject is the best kind of story of all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous ring - I love jewlery, and the cut on this is fabulous! And what a great story, well told.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes you can!, tell a story, that is. Now I want to share the story of my wedding ring. And I want Ruth to tell her story, and I want to know about Jacky's ring and Mel's is sure to be worth waiting for xx Thanks so much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginger, this is a fantastic story - I too think you are a 'story teller'! I love your ring - my Mum's is almost identical :-) And, I must record our engagement story too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story and a beautiful ring.

    ReplyDelete