Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good Mail Day, Post 1

Remember a few weeks ago when I received my "Good Mail Day" from Rinda? Well I have been floored by this book and I love what's in it. See all my little post it notes?... so far those are the pages I want to scan! (I'm only half way through the book :)


One of the chapters is called "Judging the Post by Its Cover: Decorated and Illustrated Envelopes". It asks you what sorts of things does the person receiving the mail art like; is there a special event coming up? Having just finished She Art, I was still feeling a bit inspired from that class, and thought I would try out those techniques on the envelope. A good friend of mine celebrates her birthday next week and she loves to travel with her hubby and adores pink. So I used some of Tim's distress inks and stamps to reflect her interests.

Tammy doesn't read my blog so I'm safe to post these! It was fun taking it to the post office and watching the young girl's face when I asked for a stamp.

I'm not finished with this book :) Sorry, but I still have lots to take in before I'm ready to send it off on it's "Pass the Book" journey.  I will keep you "Posted" (no pun intended:)

Do you send decorated mail? I would love to hear about it.

15 comments:

  1. I have to say that I have never sent externally decorated mail - but it would be a great thing to do!

    I am so glad Sian started Pass the Book - it is fantastic to see her choices landing in places all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be watching for this book when it's ready to be passed. Sounds like you are enjoying it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo - how fun is this?! I would love to get mail that looked so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely send "real" mail anymore, but seeing this makes me want to start sending decorated letters! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man... I want to get mail from you. :) Now that I am at home every day, I can't wait for the mailperson to come, but there is never really much excitement in the mail for us (unless it is a magazine day).

    I'm also going to keep on the lookout for the pass the book... what a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! What a great envelope. One of my blog friends, Tammy, just downloaded the book. She posted her decorated envelope today. Check out here post here:
    http://bloggingbradleys.blogspot.com/2011/03/pig-in-mail.html
    It's also very cool.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are enjoying it - I love the idea of a book about mail art being posted round the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That envelope is a work of art itself...how great to receive something like that in the post.
    It sounds to me like you need to go buy your own copy of the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - wow! I would be overwhelmed to receive something like that in the post, it's so beautiful :-) I've never done anything like that - I think the furthest I ever went was adding a few stamped images in brushless watercolour, to match the card I'd made, but that envelope wasn't going through the mail, I delivered it by hand.

    I shall *definitely* be looking out for this book when you're done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wot a beautiful envelope. I have to make my sisters birthday card today....think I may be making her a pretty envelope as well :) thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sending decorated fun mail! Receiving a pretty package in the mail just about makes my day every time, so I figure why wouldn't it make somebody else's day as well!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing idea and I was thrilled to see the book was available as a Kindle book - can't wait to send some Good Mai. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that would really be something to receive in the post! great job

    ReplyDelete
  14. That book looks so cool! I just added it to my amazon wish list. I love your envelope. I don't send out snail mail very often and now I know I'm seriously lacking in the envelope department. I will remember this the next time I send a card out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a BFS classmate, and I'm SO glad I stopped by! This book has been on my Amazon wishlist for a couple of months now. After hearing your great review, I will go ahead and purchase it!

    ReplyDelete