Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chicken Paprikash & Dumplings

One of the dishes my mom made when we were kids is Chicken Paprikash. When I was home last Fall, mom served this with dumplings and let me tell you... I have made it once a month over the Winter because it is one of my favourites. It's quick and easy to make, throw it in the oven and let it cook...very little prep time required. Now most Chicken Paprikash is cooked on the stove in a Dutch oven and has you adding sour cream at the end... I don't do that - I prefer to roast the chicken in the oven for a longer time as I find it gives a better flavour and cooks the chicken off the bone.  I don't add sour cream (although it tastes really yummy, it's just not something I do). So this is what you need....

2-3 lbs of chicken pieces ( I prefer chicken thighs and drumsticks (attached), as the darker meat provides lots of good flavour).
1 onion, chopped
Paprika - I used smoked
Salt & Pepper

Layer the onion on the bottom. Add chicken that has been seasoned liberally with the Paprika, add salt and pepper as well. Layer some onions on top of chicken pieces. Add water to the bottom of the pan, enough to cover the layer of onions or more. Place in an oven at 375 degrees and depending on how much you have, bake it for 1 hour to 1.5 hours (If you are cooking chicken backs attached to the thigh and drumstick, leave it in for the 1.5 hours). Towards the last 20 minutes, start to get your dumpling mix ready. Now some people use commercially prepared mixes, but I find it just as easy to make my own.

This is for the smaller firmer dumplings (not the big fluffy ones):

3 eggs slightly beaten
3 cups flour
Salt added to boiling water and some to flour mixture (I add about 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp) but if you don't have a salt restriction you could add more.
I also add parsley, fresh or dry

Mix this together with about 1/2 cup water, mix with a fork, if it seems too firm you want to add more water. It should look a bit lumpy and gluey, but not watery. If it's too thick the dumplings will be hard. Add them to the boiling water with a tablespoon . Let them cook for about 10 minutes. Then drain and add to the cooked Chicken Paprikash. Mix it in with the juices from the chicken.

And voila!... a simple and non labour intensive dinner. 
Serve with a nice cooked vegetable.

 Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious...I'm always interested to see the ingredients in recipes from other countries....we always make dumplings with suet....have never tried with just flour....must give it a try.
    Re your comment on my blog....the stamp in question is made by a small British company....don't know if they sell in your part of the world....but they make lots of vintage type stamps....very reasonably priced....their web address is www.craftyindividuals.co.uk

    ReplyDelete