Sunday, January 16, 2011

Childhood Memories

I just finished my layout for the third week of Yesterday & Today! Wow, this was lots of work, and lots of fun. I made the layout into an 8.5 x 11, mostly because I could not come up with 6 stories and because I don`t really have lots of childhood photos. Ali talks about that and there are some good ideas on the message boards for those cases you have a story but no photo. You can look at this site called morgue file. The photos here are for public use and so you do not need permission to download and use. Anyway, here is my layout and the stories follow it.

Story 1
I was sad when mom and dad went to Germany and I wasn’t able to go with them. When they returned home mom showed me the little dress she had bought and I couldn’t wait to try it on.  I really liked my dress, I especially liked that it was red and whenever I wore it to church I got lots of cheek squeezes from the women telling me I looked so cute. It was a sad day when I grew too big to wear it again. Mom took this photo of Curtis (with his feathered hat, also from Germany) and me after church.

Story 2
When I was about 5 or 6 mom and dad went to Hawaai and my eldest sister, Brenda and her husband Joe stayed with us.  Brenda is a good cook and so for the most part I don’t remember the good food she made, but I definitely remember her serving mushroom soup at one meal and liver and onions at another meal. Now, as a child I cannot recall my mom ever making me sit at the dinner table until I was finished eating. My spot was sitting next to dad, so if I couldn’t finish eating all I had to do was look at dad and he would eat my food for me. Unfortunately for me dad was not there and so I was made to sit at the table until I ate it. I never did, infact when noone was looking my brother, Curtis grabbed the food and threw it out.  Today, I do not have an aversion to mushroom soup. I actually quite like it, especially home made. I cannot say the same though for liver and onions. Although, I haven’t really made the opportunity to eat it,  I just might have to give it a go...

Story 3

My dad liked his real to real player and as a child I can remember Sunday’s were a time for company to come and visit. Mostly it was my cousins... I remember dad put on the real to real and in front of the cousins he would hand me the microphone and with some prompting I began to sing. I would sing “Sing” by the Carpenters... my favourite part was the “la, la, la, la, la... la, la, la, la, la,.... la, la, la, la, la, la, la, just sing, sing a song”. The other song I had in my repetoire was “It’s a Small World”. I had the little 45 and would listen to it over and over while looking at the colored photos and I would dream of being in other countries with the children shown in the little album book. Needless to say, I wanted to go to Disneyland badly to see the “It’s a Small World”, I didn’t know what it was I wanted to see, but I knew it was in Disneyland.


Story 4
I was about 6 or 7 years old when I was hospitalized for pneumonia. I was scared and homesick. Mom would come and visit me during the day time but then there was nothing to do after she left as there were no other children. I stayed in a four bed room with a grandma who did not speak English. The nurses must have felt sorry for me because I was not eating very much and one of them asked if I would like to eat with them in their report room. They were very friendly, but I was very shy and did not talk much. I was very happy to go home and see my family and friends.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Ginger

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful stories! Inspiring the way you've made such a pretty page with so few photos, and I love the use of the papers instead, and the addition of the ribbon. You are reminding me of lots of little things I could journal about myself - thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stories - I agree that it got me thinking too. And of course I adore that little red dress from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wonderful - you wrote down that hospital story :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time, but it always seemed so daunting!

    You'll have to let us know how the class goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! It's a lot of work but so worth it! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your stories and your layout is fabulous. Yum, my grandma used to eat liver and onions with me, but now I'm all alone when I want that delicacy! I need to document something about that with a photo of Grandma & me. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing pictures of small Gin-ga! You're stories make it all the more fabulous!

    ReplyDelete