Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Bit of History...

When I was a kid, my mom would buy me drawing paper, pencils, charcoal and lots of books on "How to Draw". Every time she would come home from shopping in Saskatoon, she would bring me these things. Back then I was so excited and loved to draw horses, I did not own one... that's another story (wink)... but I always wanted one... the next best thing was being able to draw them... I practiced daily.
I only have a handful of those drawings, mostly because I believe they were discarded after submitting them to a fair we had in town... sigh.

When I was in Grade 4, I started drawing people, and my teacher, Mr. Smith encouraged me to continue.
There's one of those books my mom bought me to learn how to draw faces. This drawing was done when I was 10 years old. (Mr. Smith helped define the lips a bit as well as the edges of the eyes).

By the time I was 14 years old, I had a passion for fashion! Whew wee did I like clothes... I liked them so much I started drawing them... I watched Fashion Television weekly and idolized Jeanne Beker, she brought Yves St. Laurent, Chanel and Karl Lagerfeld into my world and I could not get enough.


When I was 19, I entered John Casablanca's "Fashion Merchandising" class and learned all about the industry. Here are some paintings and drawings I did for the Fashion Illustration class....

I was so excited.... however... I was also afraid to pursue a career in the industry... as it would have meant moving to a much larger city than Edmonton and at the time that was too much for me to think of...

When I went to university to become a nurse I completely stopped drawing... I spent 5 years there and found  there was no time for anything else. When I met Marvin... we got our apartment... I always felt there was something huge missing from my life... I could never figure out what it was...

We bought our house and shortly after, for my 35th birthday, Marvin bought me a drafting table... I cried... he knew exactly what I needed... I did some drawing... and it felt like I had never stopped.

Today I don't draw so much, but I definitely have creativity in my life... shortly after getting the drafting table some friends got me into Stampin' Up (card-making) and then I started scrapbooking... I feel like there is always something new on the horizon for me to learn... it never stops!
So there you have it... a bit of my history!
I hope you have time to exercise some creativity!
Ginger

2 comments:

  1. Wow Ginger! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still nursing? Good on you for doing what you want to do not what is expected of you to do

    ReplyDelete