Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Why buy it when you can make it?

I like salads, but I really dislike store bought salad dressings... salad dressings are so easy to make yourself and they taste so much better. As well, because they are fresh they do not have any preservatives... all very good things for a healthier lifestyle.



All you need is oil and vinegar; red wine, white wine or balsamic vinegars are some of my favorites (I really like Raspberry vinegar as well). Just remember this rule of thumb, it's usually 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. If you like it more tart, then you add more vinegar. You can add honey or sugar, I prefer honey as it gives the dressing a more natural taste. Dijon mustard is wonderful too. As for oils why not try something different like walnut or hazelnut? I grab a jar, add all my ingredients, put the lid on and shake it all up. This helps the oil and vinegar to emulsify.

Here is a quick and easy recipe.

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil (or try walnut or whatever oil you have)
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Clove minced garlic
Add salt and pepper to taste if you like.

Mix it all up and there you have it... so easy and so yummy! This recipe can be changed to suit your tastes (add less honey if you don't want it too sweet).

I hope you enjoy your evening!
Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment